Welcome to my Blog!

Cooking for many isn't enjoyable like it should be or there just isn't new inspiration. This is my searching for easy and yummy meals, tips and deals so that dinner is always a cinch. Join me in my search for what is for dinner!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Easy Ideas for Healthy Choices

Everyone is trying to loss weight this time of year, but eating healthy can be hard. Here are some easy switches that still taste delicious, but just are better for eating on a regular basis.

1) Ground Turkey; like in my soup I try to use ground turkey more often over ground beef because red meat is good, but in moderation and also because ground turkey is just as satisfying but has less calories a lot of the time. Now I am not saying stop eating beef, it is a great source of iron and other nutrients, but sometimes if you want to switch it up give turkey a try! You can also buy turkey hot dogs, pepperoni and bacon which all have lower calories and taste just as good, but with half the grease!

2) Don't drink juice, eat fruit. Juice has way more sugar than fruit and is never as satisfying.

3) Like baking? Replace oil with plain(or even vanilla)yogurt. I find it makes muffins, brownies and cakes just as delicious and you get your dairy in!

4) I love my salt, instead find a seasoning that has lower sodium that gives just as much flavor. Right now I am loving paprika, it gives it a zing!

5) When buying canned anything look at the sodium levels, try to find items that have say low sodium and for broths make sure they are 100% Natural with no MSG

6) Salads are great, but dressings can be killer to the calories of a salad. Check how many calories your salad dressing has and then try to find one similar but with 50 calories or less. A way to make your salad dressing go further is to add a little dressing and shake up your lettuce in it so everything gets coated. You'll taste the dressing and use half as much.

7) Pork, the other white meat, lowest in fat and full of protein this meat is lean and tastes good!

8) Vegetables, you need to eat them! They provide fiber, vitamins and are already low in calories. However, adding tons of butter, cooking them to death and/or adding cheese to them makes them not as healthy. Try steaming them with some seasoning; they will retain their nutrients and taste just as good.

9) Bread, it is a weakness of mine, but be sure to look at your breads ingredients. Even supposed healthy wheat breads are made with not 100% wheat flour and have processed corn syrup and other unneeded sweeteners. A favorite bread of mine is Nature's Pride.

10) Potatoes, they are not as bad as you think, it is what you put on them that makes them calorie filled. Sweet potatoes and Normal potatoes are packed with nutrients, but don't always peel them! The skin is what carries most of the vitamins.

2 comments:

  1. Buffalo is another great meat. It is a little more expensive, but is supposed to be even leaner than turkey. I don't know about finding it down south but it is pretty easy to find out west. I think your blog is neat. But then I like reading about food:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have heard this, great extra tip! Thank you, I am glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete