Welcome to my Blog!

Cooking for many isn't enjoyable like it should be or there just isn't new inspiration. This is my searching for easy and yummy meals, tips and deals so that dinner is always a cinch. Join me in my search for what is for dinner!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ham Corquettes and Green Bean Salad

Joe and I have a favorite French Bakery/Eatery that serves and delicious Ham Croquette and we always go and split one of these along with a French Dip.  YUM!  Sadly it isn't very close to where we live and lately I have been thinking about their delicious sandwiches and thought.  I beat I can make one at home.  So voile'.  This is my attempt at making them, and I think a very good one at that!  Along with this I am going to have a chilled green bean salad which I have stolen from a friend of mine and while I don't know if the seasoning is the same for both of ours.  I enjoyed both just the same.

Shopping List:
1) 3/4 lb. of Honey Ham (I like mine more thinly than thickly sliced)

2) 1 Italian Sandwich Loaf

3) Gruyere Cheese

4) Dijon Mustard

5) Butter/ Margarine

6) 2-3 Large Handfuls of Fresh Green Beans

7) Cherry Tomatoes

8) 1 Small Sweet Onion

9) Balsamic Vinegar

10) Minced Garlic
***********************************************************************************
To Begin:
For the Green Bean Salad I would do this before you start the sandwiches.

Clean and snap ends off the beans.  Then place into a microwave safe bowl with a small bit of water and let steam in microwave for about 5 minutes.

While they are cooking clean and cut in half the cherry tomatoes and slice your onion.

Once beans are done place into a bowl with the tomatoes and onion.  Add about 1/2 a cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Mix well then cover.  Place in fridge.

Start sandwiches by preheating your oven to 400.  You can make these on the stove, but I always love using the oven because it is less hands on time.  It may take a little longer, but they all come out perfectly browned and they don't look mushed from the spatula and I like how they stay warmer longer.

Slice bread into 1 in thick pieces. 

Butter the bottom side of the piece of bread that goes onto the baking sheet.  Then on this piece add about 4-5 pieces of ham (depending on how big and how much ham you like).  Slice gruyere cheese and place about 2-3 slices on top of ham.  Spread dijon mustard (and mayo, if you like mayo, I don't) on top piece of bread and place on top.  Then butter the top of the piece of bread.  Continue.  Loaf should make about 6 sandwiches.

Place in oven for about 15 minutes.  Then for the last 3-4 minutes turn the broiler on, let the tops brown (may take less time).

Let sandwiches sit for a few minutes, cut and serve with the chilled bean salad.  YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment