Pregnancy and life have been keeping me busy, but I DO promise you I have been cooking, I just have been very slack in the posting them on my blog.
This is a meal that has a nice twist for this time of year and is kind of unexpected. It has a nice flavor and leaves you wanting more. HOWEVER, I will let you know that it can be a little spicy. So either just get adobo sauce with no peppers or be sure to remove all the seeds from the chipotle peppers if not. Other than that it is great to serve with either some cheesy bread(like I did) or make up some rice to have on the bottom of the bowl along with it.
It is a recipe that is definitely worth a try and gets you into the Fall season! Also you can follow the recipe and cook it to serve or you can do it in the crockpot. I did it in the crockpot. Just cook on high for 3hours or 6 if on low. So easy!
Shopping List:
1) 1-2lbs Pork Cutlets
2) 1 12oz bottle of Mexican Lager
3) Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce or just Adobo Sauce
4) 1 15oz Can of Pumpkin
5) Sour Cream
6) 2 Tomatoes or 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
7) 1 Large Sweet Onion
8) 1 Pablano Pepper (if you grocer doesn't carry them get a green pepper)
9) Chili Powder
10) Minced Garlic
11) 1 Bunch of Mustard Greens or Spinach
***********************************************************************************
To Begin: (If doing in a crockpot just add everything at once)
Dice pork into bite size pieces. Combine with beer, 3 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, skimming the foam off the surface. Add the chipotles and 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, cover and cook about 30 minutes.
For a neat accompaniment, save some pumpkin*****Mix 3 tablespoons pumpkin, 1/2 cup sour cream and salt to taste in a bowl; cover and chill. (This is optional, you can also just do sour cream, which I think tastes just as good)****
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, poblano, onions and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until soft, 15 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1/3 cup chili powder and 1 tablespoon garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add the remaining pumpkin and cook 5 minutes.
Add the tomato mixture to the pork and simmer until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes. Add the greens or spinach and cook 10 more minutes. Season with salt. Ladle the chili into bowls; top with the pumpkin cream, sour cream or a piece of bread like me. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment