I knew pop culture was effective when Joe and I went to L.A. for the weekend at the end of August and while we were there for a conference we both new that there were two places that we had to go. And as you can probably guess they were both food related. The first is the ever famous In and Out burger that on the East coast we have only to wonder about, but are fascinated by because of the huge stars that fill its doors. Then the second was from a movie we had just seen recently and we wanted to see if it was true...we wanted to see if the place in "I Love You Man" really did have the best fish tacos.
Our goals may be pitiful to some, but food is not just a small thing to Joe and I. We like it. Probably a little too much, but that is why I say we run.
Our first stop was James Beach, it is supposedly the place with the best fish tacos. While we searched through the amazingly interesting strip of Venice beach the street that lay on called to us like just out of the movie. As we stood before it we hoped we would be in for something good.
It felt fun to step into a place where celebrities went and so out of the norm for Joe and I. As we sat in the cramped but very chic restaurant I couldn't help feeling a little out of place, but hoping no one would notice.
The menu was quaint and simple. The TACOS were divine. I would know. I don't normally like fish, but I could have eaten two orders if given the chance. Our first must try was a success!
(picture of the tacos on the menu; I was too worried of being EXTREMELY touristy to take pictures of the actual tacos!)
The second try was a trip we made before we left, as we were told it was a tradition for many to get them before leaving. For that 'last chance' try at happiness in a burger.
So we went with this approach to hopefully make our last memory in L.A. a tasty one.
The In and Out burger definitely was crowded and kind of reminded me of a Johnny Rockets on the inside. The 1950's sock hop feel. With the paper hats and chrome.
As I opened the bag I couldn't help but notice the yummy smells coming from the burger and fries. I will tell you they were really good, BUT I wouldn't say any better or worse than a burger from Steak N Shake or Five Guys. So while it was a nice way to end the trip, it wasn't so over mind blowing to make me think back and wish I was back in sunny and 70 L.A.
(picture of our In and Out Burgers!)
All in all, pop culture did make us go to experience these eateries and I won't lie and say I don't enjoy being able to tell people that I've had the best fish tacos and placed my lips around a In and Out Burger. But really what I wonder is do I like them and believe because of pop culture or because my taste buds agree?
No comments:
Post a Comment